Saturday 12 April, 2003

Zan Faction.


Author: tallguy171


Category: AU. M/L. This is more of a Max focused story with Liz playing the secondary role with healthy amounts of Mi, Ma, Iz and Alex fed in.


Rating: This will mostly be R (due to violence). If it ever goes to NC-17 (being my first fic, I doubt it), I’ll change the rating.

Disclaimer: I am just a college student. I own nothing but a healthy dose of imagination and too many dreams. Roswell and all of their characters do not belong to me. This story is based on one of my most favorite games called Red Faction by Volition. If you enjoy this fic, be sure to play the game.


Summary: Zan Faction tells the story of a young boy who leaves his parents and his planet to find himself. In the process discovering an adventure he could only imagine and enough friends and enemies to last him a lifetime.


Author’s Note: I know, the summary wasn’t good but it’s the only way to keep myself from disclosing too much. To find out what is the meaning of the stories title you will have to read it. This is my first fan fiction so if there are any errors please bring them to my notice and I will correct them (or die trying hehe)
Note: Feedback is greatly appreciated.


Thanks a million to Borderinsanity for being an excellent beta.








Max POV

My life sucks.

Before I tell you who I am or where I am, let me tell you how I got here.

Well, the obvious way to start would be to tell you why I am here.

My life sucked.

I was so tired of listening to people tell me what to do and what not to do in my life.

I needed some time to think.

I graduated at the top of my class. Big deal? Yeah right.

My parents wanted me to be a lawyer like them. I still remember the argument that day on my graduation which led to me deciding to come here.


*Flashback

“Max, you are going to Yale to study law and that’s final”, my dad screamed.

I was angry and so obviously retorted, “Dad, you can’t tell me what to study. I have had it. I hate this life.”

My father was trying to make his case.“Max, what’s to hate? You have everything any normal teenage boy could ever want. You have the pick of any girl you want. You don’t have all the restrictions that most teenage boys have. Everyone wants to be around you. They’re your friends. Surely, you can’t say that your friends don’t care about you.”

I had heard all this before. My dad’s usual spiel. Nothing ever changed because I had never changed.


I told him what was on my mind. “No one cares about me. All the girls are just after my money, or rather your money. And my friends, lets not even go there. Most of them want to be around me cause you are the town judge and they need your help whenever they screw-up.” I was pissed off at my parents. They just didn’t understand it. It wasn’t about the money… it wasn’t even about the social status that I had at school.

I was pissed off at my so called friends anyway. They thought I was just joking when I told them that I didn’t want my parents to pay for my schooling. They didn’t understand that if they paid for it then I would have to become what they wanted me to be.

“You know what? I am tired of you telling me what to do in my life,” I shouted. I wanted time; no needed time, to think over and decide what it was that I wanted to do in my life.

“That’s it,” I exclaimed to myself since I had left my dad standing with his jaw hanging open in the family room. I needed to get out of here. That’s what I was going to do. I was going to find a way to get out of here. Get out from under all the expectations of what everyone wanted me to be and be myself. “Bye mom” was all I said before leaving the house or rather the mansion.


“Max wait, please don’t go,” my mom said before gripping her chest and starting to wail. She had been standing in the hallway trying to listen in on our argument, so she was the easiest to say goodbye to on the way out. I had made my mind up. It would be easy to leave everything that was me before behind.

I just had to find the opportunity that was going to let me become the man I knew I could be. I could never accept that this was the life planned out for me.
I knew there was a destiny I had somewhere.
Sounds corny but its true; I could feel it within me when I left that day.

I took the subway which was built recently in my hometown of Roswell, New Mexico, USA, Planet Earth. You must be thinking why would I say Earth?

Well, to tell you the truth, I have always felt a need to go somewhere out there. Go to another planet and study their culture.

Yes, aliens do exist. Yes we have known about them for a long time. Yes they are harmless, well most of them anyway.

Since 1957, there have been more than ten planets which have come into contact with Earth and a lot of them have also traded with us.

Now, that I think about that fateful day when I made my decision to come here, I can’t help but think if I had not taken the subway my life would have been so different.

Let me explain. When I took that train, I was thinking about my life. I was deep in thought when I saw this flyer attached to one of the advertisement boards.
It spoke of an opportunity, a chance to do something with my life. It advertised job openings on a planet called Antar in the Whirlwind Galaxy. Now this place was far away.
Not as close as Mars but not as far away as Opeteron.

It was work in a mine. Yeah, I know DUMB IDEA. Who in their right mind would leave their millionaire parents and a great life to work in a mine on a faraway planet?
But I thought it would be a challenge, it would help mold me into the person that I longed to be so I took it.

That night I came back, packed some stuff, left a note for my parents and escaped. That was the right word (escape) because my life wasn’t going anywhere that I wanted it to. It was just like I was in a prison called MY LIFE according to my parents.

That night I left for Tempe, Arizona. That was the closest space-port to Roswell. I bought a one-way ticket to Antar although I had every intention of coming back.

The spaceship was called the ‘The Husk’, very cliché I know but it belonged to the company I would work for.

I forgot to mention it, didn’t I?

The company I would work for was called The Skins Corp.

Whatever, it can’t be as weird as their name, right?

Anyway, onto bigger and better things. That was my motto in the beginning. Bigger and Better… Me… Max Evans.


Should I continue?