Wednesday 4 August, 2004

Misquotations:

Here are my favorites:-

"Play it again, Sam"

* Correct quote: "You played it for her, you can play it for me. ... If she can stand it, I can! Play it!" - Humphrey Bogart (Casablanca)
* Another correct quote: "Play it once, Sam. For old times' sake. ... Play 'As Time Goes By'." - Ingrid Bergman (Casablanca)
o Note: Woody Allen made a homage to Casablanca under the title Play It Again, Sam.


"The rest is science"

* Correct quote: "The rest is silence" - William Shakespeare (Hamlet)


"Friends, Romans, Countrymen, Lend me your ears." - William Shakespeare (Julius Caesar)

* Notes: normally attributed to Julius Caesar, but actually said by Antony.


Elementary, my dear Watson"

* Correct quote: "Elementary", on one occasion; "my dear Watson" on another. Never together - Sherlock Holmes
* Notes: According to the Sherlock Holmes series of books, the expression was uttered in some derivative works such as Sherlock Holmes films and television programmes.